About the school board
The Darwin High School Board:
- has a strong focus on strategic planning, monitoring and reporting
- works together with the principal to create and achieve the long-term vision for the school
- involves the school community in the governance of the school to strengthen and support public education in the community, and
- maintains genuine autonomy at all stages of its dealings on behalf of parents, students, teachers and the wider school community.
The Board is incorporated under the Education Act (2015), and operates within Department of Education policies. Broadly the functions of the Board include:
- advising the principal about the educational needs of the community and policy implementation
- assessing and advising on the physical needs of the school
- overseeing work on buildings and grounds being carried out at the school
- building links between parents, community groups and the school
- determining the school’s annual budget
- determining community use of school facilities
- employing school board staff.
A key area of focus for the Board is the implementation and monitoring of the Darwin High School Business Plan 2016-2019.