Arafura Games Update
Darwin High School students are celebrating great success in the 2019 Arafura Games. The biennial event officially opened on 26 April and will conclude on Monday 4 May.
The Games have showcased 16 sports and a range of sporting competition tiers from amateur through to sub-elite.
Many Darwin High School students competed in the Games, special mention to the following who achieved notable results.
From Year 10:
- Sienna Walo won Gold in 100 Backstroke (15-16 years), 100 Freestyle (15-16 years), 4 x 100 Freestyle relay (Open), Silver in 50 Freestyle (15-16 years) and Gold in 50 Backstroke (15 – 16 years) and Silver in 100 Breaststroke (15 – 16 years)
- Rosanna Materazzo won Gold in 400 Freestyle (Open), 200 Breaststroke (15 – 16 years), 4 x 100 Freestyle relay (Open) and Silver in 50 Fly (15 – 16 years), 100 Fly (15 - 16 years) and Gold in 200 Freestyle (15 – 16 years)
- Emma Noblett won Bronze in 100 Backstroke (13 – 14 years) and Bronze in 50 Backstroke (13 – 14 years)
- Tamsyn Walo won Bronze in 100 breast (15 – 16 years)
From Year 11:
- Nicholas Wecker who won Silver in the 50 Freestyle (15 – 16 years).
- Emerson Pomfret on winning a Bronze medal in athletics for the 1500m and Bronze in the 800m
From Year 12:
- Abdurahman Roach on winning a Gold medal for athletics in the 10,000m and Gold in the 5000m
Pictured above: Abdurahman Hayes-Roach
Our students are not just competing at the Arafura Games. Many are also volunteering. Some of our Year 10 Health/PE students and staff were assisting with the Beach Volleyball.
Congratulations to all our students competing or volunteering at the event, a fantastic experience for yourselves and a great contribution to our community.