COVID-19 Update as at Tuesday 24 March
Yesterday the Chief Minister announced that based on current health advice it is still safe for schools to remain open. Darwin High School continues to do everything possible to provide education in a safe environment and to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
The Chief Minister also announced that parents/carers now have the choice to keep their children at home with them and school attendance is optional for the remainder of this term, as a result of the COVID-19 emergency. Importantly, the Chief Minister stressed that, if you choose to take this decision, your child must be at home. They are not permitted to be at any other location. If they can’t be at home or with you, please send them to school.
A key part of managing this rapidly evolving situation is ensuring that students and families are well informed of any updated advice or changes to processes based on the advice of the Australian Government and the NT Health Officer. Compass is our primary mode of communication. Please ensure you have access and check Compass and emails regularly for updates.
- Notify the school of all student absences via Compass or by phoning 8999 1222.
- Please indicate why your child is not attending.
- Students who are sick, are asked not to attend school.
Preparing for a school closure (should the NT Government decide to do this):
- Students who do not have access to the internet and a computer/laptop at home need to notify their Year Level Coordinator ASAP so that alternatives can be provided should the school close.
- Students are being reminded to be prepared and take home work/assessments, textbooks and devices on a daily basis so they can continue to work from home.
- Darwin High School is working on operationalising our school's pandemic plan, which provides us with direction in regards to how to respond in the event of a temporary school closure.
- While the school remains open teachers are focusing on teaching to students who attend.
Please see the following advice provided by the SACE Board
- Practice good hygiene i.e. students are encouraged to bring their own water bottle to use at school.
- Read the advice provided at www.health.gov.au
- Monitor secure.nt.gov.au
We will continue to keep you informed with updates via Compass and email.
If you have any specific questions or concerns related to your child’s individual situation, please do not hesitate to contact the school on 8999 1222.