Teacher Professional Development Days Monday 6 – Thursday 9 April, 2020
Yesterday the Minister for Education announced all Northern Territory Schools will be undertaking professional development days from Monday 6 – Thursday 9 April 2020 ( Week 11 of Term 1) to prepare for the continued delivery of education in Term 2.
Next week, Week 10, Term 1, the school will remain open and classes will continue.
In Week 11 from Monday 6 – Thursday 9 April, no Year 10, 11, 12 or SIEU classes will be conducted and students will not be required to attend school.
However, our school will provide a space for learning for students of parents who are essential workers and cannot make alternative arrangements for their children. This will be supervised individual study adhering to the strict social gathering guidelines, not regular classes.
The letter from the Northern Territory Government contains further information and links to resources for learning at home. Please note these resources are only suitable for students in Transition to Year 9.
Darwin High School students who are working from home during Week 10, while the school remains open should:
- Check Compass in the lesson plan section and the resources section in each subject profile.
- If work cannot be found in Compass, students are encouraged to contact their class teacher via email and the teacher will respond as soon as they are able.
Darwin High School has an expectation that students who are self- isolating will continue to engage with the learning requirements of each subject.
Do I have to send my child to school?
- Following the Prime Minister's latest advice, schools will remain open however families can choose to have their children at home for the remainder of Term 1, 2020.
- Students are welcomed to school as normal unless they have:
- flu-like systems, a fever or ongoing cough (or otherwise sick)
- just arrived in Australia OR returned to the Northern Territory as of 4 pm Tuesday 24.03.20 and have to self-isolate for 14 days or
- been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19
A reminder for any students who do not have access to the internet and a computer/laptop at home must notify their Year Level Coordinator ASAP so that alternatives can be provided should the school close.
We will continue to keep you informed with updates via Compass and email, particularly as arrangements for Term 2 become clear.
If you have any specific questions or concerns related to your child’s individual situation or arrangements for Week 11, Term 1 2020, please do not hesitate to contact the school on 8999 1222.
Thank you for your continued patience and kindness as we manage this incredibly challenging situation.